Will There Ever be Jide JavaFX Components?

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Will There Ever be Jide JavaFX Components?

Postby kolotyluk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Are there any plans to develop Jide components for Java FX? For example, it would be nice to have a JavaFX tree-table.

Cheers, Eric
kolotyluk

Re: Will There Ever be Jide JavaFX Components?

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:50 pm

There is no active work in JavaFX area at the moment.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby v2cg4ss » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:15 pm

Now that JavaFX 2.0 is in beta and most lilely will be GA on or around javaone 2011. Are there plans to port the Jide components to JavaFX 2.0?
v2cg4ss

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks for asking. It is probably not an easy porting. The whole thing need to be redesigned and re-implemented. It also depends on what JavaFX GA included already in their release. That's why we haven't started the porting project yet.
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby stars » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:38 am

Does your previous answer means that when JavaFX 2.0 is released, then you will start the porting?
Or does it mean that when JavaFX 2.0 is released, you'll start thinking about maybe porting it?

This is kind of important to us because you provide a very rich set of components we rely on but Swing gets old and today's applications need sexy things such as animations and effects (aside from important features such as FXML and CSS).

Oracle said that the final API won't change a lot from the latest 2.0 beta. Have you already tried to get a feeling by, internally, porting some simple components?
stars

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:14 am

We already started to port some simple components to JavaFX to get a feeling, namely CheckListView, CheckTreeView, RangeSlider and some filtering related features so far. But many things are still broken. For example, http://javafx-jira.kenai.com/browse/RT-17053 prevents us from doing any serious filtering features. One option is to roll over our own filtering list based on what we have in JIDE Grids. However I still prefer waiting for them to fix it and use theirs. They also add some features to the basic components, much better than Swing counterparts. However for those features that are still missing (but are available in JIDE), we have a harder time to add them comparing to that of Swing. While JavaFX makes it much easier to do animation and skinning, Swing is still a lot more extensible when adding some advanced features. So far, the feeling is mixed. We probably will roll some JavaFX components as a test drive when or shortly after the JavaFX is formally released. Last but not the least, I am glad that they got rid of scripting and made JavaFX a lot more like a Swing 2.0.
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby stars » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:02 am

Yeah right? What about Collection transformations (filtering and sorting) on the private API?

You guys have gained a lot of experience on Swing. The JavaFX team is competente, that's not the point, but I think that you should provide them with an experience feedback. Maybe you already have? Your remarks would help them make JavaFX more modular and adaptable. The whole Java community would gain from it.

Regards
stars

Postby JIDE Support » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:24 am

We of course are aware of the FilteredList and SortedList. They changed them to private API because of bugs in it (such as http://javafx-jira.kenai.com/browse/RT-15308), not because they think they should be private. I was hit by this bug. They are aware of the bugs and are working on it. Many the developers in JavaFX teams were originally from Swing team so they know what's good and bad about Swing and how to avoid the Swing mistakes in JavaFX. They probably have a lot of pressure to release something before JavaOne at the moment. I will provide my feedback through the kenai jira after explored all the options.
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby stars » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:29 am

Just to let you know, JavaFX 2.0 is officially out! =D
stars

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Here is our first JavaFX component, to get started.

http://www.jidesoft.com/blog/2011/10/04 ... component/
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby stars » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:14 am

Any noticeable progress on JavaFX? Regards.
stars

Postby JIDE Support » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:26 am

Not yet but I am keeping a close eye on the development of JavaFX. Wait for things to settle down a little bit.
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby infn » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:22 am

Any further updates on this topic?
infn

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:20 am

We saw a lot of momentum of javafx in this year JavaOne so yes, we will start to roll out javafx components. For our customers who are watching this thread, please feel free to send us emails or post here to let us know what you think of javafx, what's your plan to migrate (or not), what components/features you would like to see in additional to what javafx already provides.
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby stars » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:38 am

We started to set our own values to the Numbus PLAF and replaced quite a few Jide component because they were not customizable enought or did not make use of the standard Numbus properties.

If there is one thing you should be very careful about is FXML, CSS and Data Binding. Failing to fully comply to these JavaFX features would be, IMO, a big let down from the Jide library.

I'll provide ideas of relevant components as they come to me.

Keep up the good job!
stars

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:57 am

Thanks for pointing it out. Nimbus L&F was introduced way after JIDE. It changed the old way Swing works and would request a lot of effort for us to support it. Unfortunately it was pretty much announced dead the moment it was rolled out because Sun switched focus to JavaFX around the same time. That's why we are not motivated to support it. The JavaFX would be different. The documentation of css is well written and it is very clear about what we should do in order to be compliant. So keeping our new javafx compliant is a high priority.
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby kolotyluk » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:28 pm

I am glad to hear Jide is considering Java FX support.

While I am quite interested in Java FX, I am getting less interested in Java for UI implementation. Instead I am focusing more on Scala FX, which is much closer to Java FX Script and better for writing readable and maintainable UI code, far better than WPF and XAML.

I am also keen on seeing some new techniques used in UI libraries, such as http://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/176887/files/DeprecatingObservers2012.pdf
kolotyluk

Postby ningyu18 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:53 pm

I work for a Fortune 100 company and we have several high profile projects that are considering moving to JavaFX soon. I will definitely be very interested if JIDE can move at least the docking, grids, and components product lines to JavaFX.
ningyu18

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi Ning,

That's good to know. Feel free to email support@jidesoft.com directly about what missing components you would like to see in JavaFX. That'll definitely help us prioritizing the components.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby eliquious » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:04 am

I second ningyu18's comment. Our two-man company is just starting out with our first product. We've already started using the libraries ningyu18 listed, but am very interested in JavaFX or rather JideFX. We are making progress, however, depending on the timeline of the JideFX components we may port what we have already since we are at such an early stage of development. One other comment about priority, we have looked into the JIDE charting libraries and are highly impressed with its performance. Could you also provide extensions to the existing JavaFX charting to provide features such as lazy rendering? That feature alone is huge for the product we are developing.

Can you give us a morsel of info (or a blog post) on where you guys are at on the development?

Thanks,

eliquious
eliquious

Postby JIDE Support » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Just so you know, here is our first JideFX beta release. More to follow.

http://www.jidesoft.com/blog/2013/06/06 ... a-release/
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby ningyu18 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:55 am

This is a fantastic development! Kudos to you. We will be looking into this soon.
ningyu18

Postby gtt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:10 am

so ..... time has arrived ....

We are at Okt 2020. Using JIDE Grid, Docking and other JIDE components delays our upgrade to JavaFX since 2013.
If JIDE will not present a new JavaFX version, we will probably be forced to replace it, even if own development will be neccesary.
gtt

Return to Product Suggestions