Nested Vertical and Horizontal Splits in DocumentPane

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Nested Vertical and Horizontal Splits in DocumentPane

Postby bobshortt » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:15 pm

I would like the ability to split a document pane vertically, then split one or both of the new groups horizontally, then further subdivide each group indefinitely.

Emacs provides a good example of such splitting capability. This would be very useful in my app.
bobshortt

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:38 pm

There is diffculty in implementing this since DocumentPane isa JideSplitPane. We want it to be simple - just one direction of splits. It's almost another docking framework in DocumentPane the wat you described.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby pmartin » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:33 pm

I'll put my hand up for this as well.

I was about to start implementing my own DocumentPane look-a-like that can handle both vertical and horizontal splits in the way bobshortt described. I still will of course :D

- Phil
pmartin

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:08 pm

If you really want this, you can use another DockingManager inside workspace to replace DocumentPane. Just configurate the JideTabbedPane and DockableFrame used by that DockingManager so that it looks just like DocumentPane (setHideOneTab(false), setShowTabButtons(true) on JideTabbedPane and setShowTitleBar(false) on DockableFrame).

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby pmartin » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:44 pm

Is there an easy way to cause the docked frames to take up all the client space that is available?

(I haven't tried it, just imagining what it would look like)
pmartin

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:59 pm

Yeah. You can call dockingManager.hideWorkspace() to have the center gray area. I guess you need it for the DockingManager which will replace DocumentPane.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby pmartin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:16 pm

This works great!

Except for one little problem.

The title bar is used as the drag location to determine if the user wishes the draggable frame to become part of the tabs, or to be docked adjacent to an already docked frame.

As soon as you turn off the title bars using setShowTitleBar(false), you are no longer able to make a DockableFrame part of a set of tabs.

Is there any way to customise where the region is that tests if the user wants to dock with tabs or dock next to a frame?

- Phil
pmartin

Postby JIDE Support » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:18 pm

Sure. Just call DockingManager.setEasyTabDock(true). It will use the center of tabbed pane as in lieu of missing title bar.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby pmartin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:24 pm

I really have never encountered such quick and quality support from anyone. Well done!

Kind regards,
Phil Martin
pmartin

Postby JIDE Support » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:26 pm

You are welcome.

If this paradigm works just fine, we will probably include a demo so that other people can adopt this paradigm.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions