JideDockableTabbedPane

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

JideDockableTabbedPane

Postby Fairall » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:57 am

:idea:
Hi Jide

Perhaps we have come to expect miracles from Jidesoft, so how about another?

We have a need for something that is probably a fusion between DocumentPane and DockableHolder.
basically we would like to open Documents (DockableFrames) to a DocumentPane and then (this is the crunch) :
be able to grab the tab and float the Document (DockableFrame)
Perhaps the tabs could have a float button as well.
The idea comes from a requirement to be able to view Documents in split mode (to compare) using the DocumentPane functionailty but tear them off as well.

Well, it is Christmas!

On that note: Thanks for a great product, it really has added an extra dimension to our products.

Merry Christmas and a Great New year.
Rich Fairall
Fairall

Re: JideDockableTabbedPane

Postby JIDE Support » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:11 am

Fairall wrote::idea:
The idea comes from a requirement to be able to view Documents in split mode (to compare) using the DocumentPane functionailty but tear them off as well.

When we designed DocumentPane, we thought about tearing off too. However we decided not to implement it. From usability point of view, it won't help too much but causing confusions. The only reason users want to tear off is to compare two or more documents side by side (correct me if you can think of other reasons). Since DocumentPane has split feature, there is really no need to tear off. It will cause confusions as I said. Usually the main toolbar have buttons for documents, i.e. Save. Save button will save the active document. If there is a floating document and it happened to cover the save button, there is no way user can press it. Further more, when there is a selected document (not active) in the main window and a float document (active), which one the save button will save.

We do have some thoughts how to do the feature you want. But let's discuss if we really need the feature first :-)

Thanks.
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby Fairall » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:14 am

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, there certainly would be problems with global menu items.
(something which is often an issue for us).
Our need for a torn-off document comes from having real-time monitoring going on in the document panes. I had the idea of being able to tear one off and keep an eye on it while using the main body of the GUI for other work.
The alternative is to launch these monitoring panels in DockableFrames, and that's where I started - thinking in terms of visually managing dockable frames in a tabbed pane. Similar to the way one can group these together now in tabbed fashion, but with extra Document Pane split-viewing functionality.
I think it's a matter of a compromise, in fact one Dockable frame with all monitoring panes in bed together would be a good solution.
Thanks again
Rich
Fairall

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:32 am

Great. I also think using DockableFrame for monitoring is a good solution.

Thanks.
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby ngicquel » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:15 am

Hello,
I red this old topic and the initial need of your client meets mine but for an other reason :
We would like to have a "JideDockableTabbedPane" to be able to have the document pane on a secondary screen in a multi screen configurations.
The main window wouldn't contain documents anymore so we wouldn't have the problem of a "selected document (not active) in the main window and a float document (active)".

( What i tried is to put a DocumentPane inside a DockableFrame but i have problems related to active document, focusing etc..)
Have you a better idea for my problem ?

N.G.
ngicquel

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:14 pm

I wonder in your case, why not just put DocumentPane in its own JWindow or JFrame or JDialog, depending on which one is appropriate. You don't have to depend on Docking Framework to create a floating window.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions