Various feature that could be developped

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Various feature that could be developped

Postby evans.castonguay » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:16 pm

Hi,

In my last trip at javaone I had the opportunity to meet with the Swing team and the JDNC team. Based on the meeting I submit a list of feature that I taught will be interresting to have in a swing framework. This is a resume of the post that I wrote. Let me know if this help:

This is a list of framework with short description that we needed for our rich application and that I think that could be nice in JIDE:
Thin-client Creational Swing Framework
Framework that sub-divided your complete application into components: model, view, controller,action.
The framework is reponsible to create, link and integrate all the previous component based on a XML descriptor.
This is done using a factory create your application based on that xml.This factory could use reflection mechanism to initialise components. This imply that your application become like building block and the composition of your application is not done at run-time instead of being done at compile time. The framework support stand-alone or thin-client application where the descriptor is localed either in a local storage or in a central server. Different descriptor could be used contextual to the authenticated user and its security.
For example, certain views, modules and controllers could be accessible only with the propert authorization.
All controllers are managed centrally by the framework so that we could implemented easilly security support and keymap support.
Thin-client Swing authentication and authorization module (compatible with JAAS or other security mechanism.)
Stand-alone version with file descriptor
Server side version with JAAS integration
Implement data-binding components

We also had a user preference storage service where we could store preference for a given user. This allows the application to keep the preference of user same after the user close is thin-client.

A lot of the framework that we created are based on the struct paradigm. And I believe that this is a possible roadmap for JIDE should go.

Obviously has a JIDE customer I want stuff that meet my needs.

Let me know if any of this help.

Evans Castonguay
Invidex
evans.castonguay

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:55 pm

Hi Evans,

Thanks very much for the suggestions. Rich client framework is definitely a logic next step for us.

We do face a choice of developering our own framework or integrate our rich components suite with others or do both. In fact, we've started looking at the integration with existing framework. A prototype was done on it already. There are also customers want to share their in-house framework with us. All those haven't been nailed down yet. But it's quite clear that we will have something ready for our customers.

So please stay tune. If you have any more suggestions, please feel free to share with us.

Best regards.
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby kkolumbu » Thu May 05, 2005 1:37 pm

Doesn't Spring have a Jide-integrated Rich Client module?
kkolumbu

Postby JIDE Support » Thu May 05, 2005 1:40 pm

JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions